Working for a better tomorrow isn't just a one time thing...
Mathematically Correct Breakfast - How to Slice a Bagel into Two Linked Halves. If a torus is cut by a Möbius strip it will split up into to interlocking rings.
It is not hard to cut a bagel into two equal halves which are linked like two links of a chain. Figure 1:
- To start, you must visualize four key points. Center the bagel at the origin, circling the Z axis. A is the highest point above the +X axis. B is where the +Y axis enters the bagel. C is the lowest point below the -X axis. D is where the -Y axis exits the bagel.
- These sharpie markings on the bagel are just to help visualize the geometry and the points. You don’t need to actually write on the bagel to cut it properly.
- The line ABCDA, which goes smoothly through all four key points, is the cut line. As it goes 360 degrees around the Z axis, it also goes 360 degrees around the bagel.
- The red line is like the black line but is rotated 180 degrees (around Z or through the hole). An ideal knife could enter on the black line and come out exactly opposite, on the red line. But in practice, it is easier to cut in halfway on both the black line and the red line. The cutting surface is a two-twist Mobius strip; it has two sides, one for each half.
- After being cut, the two halves can be moved but are still linked together, each passing through the hole of the other.
It is much more fun to put cream cheese on these bagels than on an ordinary bagel. In additional to the intellectual stimulation, you get more cream cheese, because there is slightly more surface area.
Topology problem: Modify the cut so the cutting surface is a one-twist Mobius strip. (You can still get cream cheese into the cut, but it doesn’t separate into two parts). See more at: Mathematically Correct Breakfast: How to Slice a Bagel into Two Linked Halves by George W. Hart.
Maybe, that’s one of the reasons why I love bagel :)
His crime is now canon
When no one was looking, Lex Luthor
took forty cakes. He took 40 cakes.
That’s as many as four tens.
And that’s terrible.
OH MY GOD THEY MADE IT CANON
I’ve been dying to do this entry for a while now. Introducing Shajar-al-Durr, who: was a Muslim sultan that ruled in her own name; stopped the Seventh Crusade dead in its tracks; captured one of the most powerful monarchs in the world; and ransomed him back to his own freakin’ country.
You don’t understand how important this moment was to me. Kieren is eighteen years old, he suffers from severe anxiety and depression, he’s being accused of something he didn’t do, and, as a result, he lashes out. This reaction is completely understandable. And yet, because he is a PDS sufferer, they take the innate humanness of the outburst and twist it to make him seem inhuman. This is what happens when you are part of an oppressed group. They push you, and push you, and you keep your head down, and nothing changes - and when eventually you snap, act out in anger and frustration because you can’t take it any more, they take that reaction and turn it around to justify their oppression. This is the moment when Kieren realises he cannot win. Whatever he does, he will always be a monster.
WHY AM I JUST FINDING OUT THERE’S A BBC SHOW ABOUT THE RISEN DEAD REINTEGRATING WITH SOCIETY?
when are white feminists gonna stop saying “stop teaching your daughter she’s beautiful and start telling her she’s smart!!” to WOC cause WOC teaching their daughters of color that they’re beautiful in a white-beauty standardized society is pretty radical also i’m asian white people always tell me im smart bc of that i dont need my mom telling me that
little black girls need to be told they are smart, magical, beautiful and divine. nothing short of that.